This event is now closed. For more information, call 1-866-644-2065
A New Era: Cultural Renaissance in Indigenous Education
The Manitoba First Nations Education Resource Centre (MFNERC) is proud to host its 18th annual Lighting the Fire, ‘A New Era: Cultural Renaissance in Indigenous Education’. The conference and tradeshow will be held May 11-13, 2016 at the Victoria Inn and Convention Centre in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
The conference will bring together Chiefs and councillors, school boards, education directors, principals, aspiring administrators, teachers, parents and all First Nations education stakeholders.
Indigenous education has remained resilient in this era of First Nations reconciliation, resulting in approaches and methodologies that are both new and steeped in pre-colonial philosophies and customs. A renewed energy has emerged as the next generation of Indigenous and non-Indigenous educators introduce trailblazing approaches in our schools and classrooms.
First Nations have always practiced advanced teaching approaches as survival depended on it, and now, in Canada’s twenty-first century, we are implementing these dynamic methods that are inclusive of community, school and nationhood.
Strengthening student identity is one of the keystones to a successful life, and we have begun to see this through programs that honour First Nations culture, language and knowledge. This year’s Lighting the Fire Conference includes workshops from educators with groundbreaking, practical approaches that use First Nations culture to ensure students thrive.
Who Should Attend
- First Nations Elders
- Government Representatives
- Education Administrators
- Education Directors
- School Boards
- Chiefs and Councillors
- Education Stakeholders
- All Other Interested Individuals and Groups
Pre-registration is now closed. You will be able to register on-site starting at 8:00 am on both Wednesday, May 11 and Thursday, May 12. Pre-registration is also available on Tuesday, May 10th between 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm.
Full Conference: 1-4 people: $300 per person, 5-19 people: $275 per person, 20+ people: $225 per person
Single Day: $100 per person (each day)
Students: Full Conference: $115 per person, Single Day: $55 per person
Workshops Titles Include:
- Aboriginal Education British Columbia Perspective
- Relating Food to Education
- Iyekia Un Iapi (Language is Identity)
- This is Land Based Education
- Weaving Strength Into Our Students
- Engaging Youth Through Videomaking: Reclaiming Land and Culture-Based Learning Approaches
- Cracking the Code
- Getting the Wapaskwa Virtual Collegiate Working in Your School
- Developing Early Learning Number Sense
- Keeping Kids Safe Online
- Continuum of Mental Math Strategies for Kindergarten to Grade 12 Teachers
- An Overview of the Fountas & Pinnell Levelled Literacy Intervention
- Youth, Elders and the Teachings of Indigenous Food Sovereignty
- Through the Eyes of a Child
- Learning by Doing: Math Mastery
- Integrated GIS into First Nation Culture and Language Study
- Do You Know Your Stuff?
- Teaching Reading Comprehension Through Visualization
- Mental Health First Aid First Nations
- Nurturing Capacity: Building Community
- Circle of Courage Leadership Program
- PhD Scholars Forum
- Six Seasons Scope and Sequence
- Awasis Kihtjam Ta Kistenimth (Rebirth of Respect for the Child)
- Engaging Youth Through Video Making: Reclaiming Land and Culture-based Learning Approaches
- TELL: Test of Early Language and Literacy
- Red Rising Magazine: Amplifying the Voices of Indigenous Youth
- Using Technology for Language Acquisition and Retention
- Planning for Language Immersion or Bilingual Programs
- Best Practices in Social Studies
- Best Practices in School-based Suicide Prevention: A Comprehensive Approach
- School Mindfulness Initiative
- Back from the Brink
Workshop Descriptions – view the workshop descriptions by clicking this link.
Workshop Schedule – view the workshop schedule by clicking this link.
Tradeshow & Exhibitor Application
Tradeshow application period is now closed.
Host Hotel Information
Victoria Inn Hotel and Convention Centre
1808 Wellington Avenue, Winnipeg, MB
Phone: (204) 786-4801
Toll Free: 1-877-VIC-INNS
Fax: (204) 786-1329
The Victoria Inn Hotel and Convention Centre is a Canada Select 4 Star hotel. The hotel has 260 well appointed standard guest rooms and specialty rooms including executive, Honeymoon, Queen and Kid Theme suites. More then 28,000 square feet of meeting and banquet space makes it the largest convention hotel in Manitoba. Hotel amenities include a Dino-Beach Family Water Park, fitness room, washers, dryers and a gift shop in the hotel lobby. The hotel also offers complimentary parking, local phone calls, internet computer in the lobby, wireless internet in guest rooms and 24-hour airport shuttle. Other conveniences include Chicago Joe’s Restaurant lounge, and VLT Gaming Room.
All travel arrangements are the responsibility of the individual. Clement Travel is the official travel agent for the Manitoba First Nations Education Resource Centre (MFNERC). For assistance in planning your travel needs, please contact Clement Travel at (204) 985-5290.
Health and Safety
The MFNERC assumes no responsibility for any injury, theft, or personal liabilities. First Aid and emergency services will be available on location. The Lighting the Fire conference is an alcohol and drug free event (excluding any alcohol sold by host hotel at the restaurant and banquet).
Please check back often for updates. We look forward to seeing you in Winnipeg!
For more information, please contact:
Joy Keeper, Conference Coordinator or Randi-Lisa Quedent, Assistant
Manitoba First Nations Education Resource Centre Inc.
Toll Free: 1-866-644-2065
HELP PROMOTE the 2016 Lighting The Fire Conference and Tradeshow
Share the excitement of the 2016 Lighting The Fire Conference and Tradeshow with your colleagues and networks by copying and pasting the blurb below to your social media profiles (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.):
2016 Lighting The Fire Conference and Tradeshow | May 11-13, 2016 | Victoria Inn and Convention Centre | Winnipeg, MB www.GoToRegister.ca/LightingTheFire